Re: [LUG] OT Virgin Mail Server

 On 15/06/2011 14:23, Kevin Lucas wrote:
HI all

I have a question about Mail servers and Mail clients,

Some years ago I set my Parents up with 2 PCs ( next to each other) his
and hers.
They do their separate things but have only the one Email address at
ntlworld.com.

They  have a mail clients Thunderbird and Evolution set to leave the
messages on the server so the both got a Copy of all mail which worked
until now.

It seems when either of the Clients fetches the Mail it stays on the
server but the next client sees no "New Mail" thus missing out on the
mail just collected from the first client.
so both are out of sync.
Viewed in a browser all the mail is still there but must be flagged as
being "read" and so is not new?  Does this make sense? And is there an
"unfalgger" so both clients pick up all messages they have not read?

Or are we forced on the Advert bloated Browser for Virgin I wonder?

Hi Kevin,

Virgin's mail is now run by Google, so essentially it's got the same flaws. Being webmail based not true POP3, the setting 'leave mail on server' doesn't work properly. I *think* there is a workaround for it but that retrieves all your Sent Mail as well which is a pain in the proverbial.

Kind regards,

Julian