Re: [LUG] RAR Files

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 07:59:29AM +0100, Joe Buckle wrote:
> Hello, hope all is well on this fine Saturday and looking forward to
> seeing some people in Paignton LUG this afternoon :)
>
> I had a client send me a .rar compressed file yesterday and I had to
> download some additional software to uncompress it. I started looking
> online to see if .rar was non-free so that I could warn the client
> against it in future but couldn't find anything to say it wasn't. I
> remember something called winrar in the past which I would certainly
> know wasn't free - but I don't know if the format is or isn't. So
> obviously couldn't warn the client, and promote tar instead.
>
> Can anyone clear this little confusion up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR

"The RAR compression utility is proprietary, with a closed algorithm. RAR is
owned by Alexander L. Roshal,[2] the elder brother of Eugene Roshal.
Version 3 of RAR is based on Lempel-Ziv (LZSS) and prediction by partial
matching (PPM) compression, specifically the PPMd implementation of PPMII
by Dmitry Shkarin.[4]"

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.