Re: [LUG] Nokia Phone with Debian Installed

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Stephen Harris wrote:

Hi all, I was recently thinking about installing linux on my phone, then
realised it wasn't possible on my current phone, but I remembered Gordon
showing me his model of Nokia which had Debian installed, but I can't for
the life of me remember what the model of it was, couldnt help me could u?

It's the N900.

Currently broke after I dropped it one time too many. (No display). I reckon it's fixable but am waiting on the insewerants to get back to me.

However I have to say that I've given up with Nokia now that they've sold out to MS. And there was a distinct lack of apps. for the N900 too. (Not that I felt I was lacking myself, however). And while it's a nice platform, it was missing just one or 2 things - it really is a tablet device with a phone attached.

However I've just sold my soul to Google and bought an HTC Desire Z. They're relatively cheap right now too - I got mine from mobile fun http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/sim-free-htc-desire-z-p26005.htm

(With an ugly, but functional protector case)

I'll root it eventually and put something like CyanogenMod on it, but for now it's out of the box with the HTC sense interface.

I've decided that if I want something mobile with a usable Linux (ie. Debian), then my acer aspire one will suffice!

For now.

Gordon