Re: [LUG] new ubuntu

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 07/06/11 20:51, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Alex Mclennan wrote:

hello to all,

Look - inverted (as in colour, not upside down) question marks...

That'll be the unknown character symbol.

In the native console, they're diamonds.

What did you type?

The HTML (probably not what he typed) had 1 x 0A (new line) and 15 x A0
(non-breaking space in ISO-8859-1). So nothing that should be displayed.

We've already established your character set mappings are behaving
strangely, I do hope you aren't going to be perpetually surprised if
things don't display correctly.

I'm surprised when things change. It used t work OK - under Debian Lenny. It was only when I installed Squeeze that things started to go odd )-:

I'm still intrigued by what error Alpine is giving you, which is
probably the clue to fixing things. Also Alpine 2 from Debian repository
doesn't seem to have any settings for locale, so I couldn't figure out
what you were talking about previously that you were altering. Have you
inherited some strange setting? Time maybe to "adduser" and see if a
clean account has the same issues?

The Alpine2 I'm using now was installed from a .deb from their site (Not from the debian repo - which only has Alpine 1 for Lenny). It's version 2.00. (Debian Squeeze Alpine is 2.00 too)

I'm running an Xterm on a Squeeze box..

  gordon @ yakko: locale
  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
  etc.

ssh'd into a Lenny box:

  gordon @ unicorn: locale
  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
  etc.

and running pine. In the pine settings (Main Menu -> Setup -> Config) there are these lines:

Display Character Set             = iso-8859-1
Keyboard Character Set            = iso-8859-1
Posting Character Set             = iso-8859-1
Unknown Character Set             = iso-8859-1

(I've put it back to iso-8859-1 which stops it whinging) When I change these to en_GB.UTF-8 it whinges)

Oh... Hm. But your aduser has given me a clue... So I've just deleted those values. I've probably been using iso-8859-1 since about 1993 when I started using Pine - and guess what - when I deleted the "Display Character Set" value, it changed it to generic "UTF-8" and I can type £ signs again...

Euro blob too: €

And when I go back and read Alex's email at the start of this thread, there are blanks in it now.

So there you go. Just needed a prod in the right direction :)

Dragging myself into the 2nd decade of the new millenium, one bit at a time...

Cheers,

Gordon