Re: [LUG] More on my upgrade ..

On 07/06/11 19:47, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Oh, and pounds signs... ÃÂ what has happened? I view emails with ÃÂ
> signs in them and they look like inverted question marks. I type a ÃÂ
> sign and it's adding 2 extra spaces.

UTF-8 encoding of the  sign is 0xC2 0xA3

Since 0xA3 is a pound sign in ISO-8859-1 and 0xC2 is capital letter A
with circumflex, is you ever see "ÃÂ" it almost invariably means that
you have a character set encoding issue, and have treated UTF-8 as
ISO-8859-1 (don't do that) or similar 8 bit character set.

These days Debian installs should probably have a UTF-8 locale
(en_GB.UTF-8 is a good choice for Devon and Cornwall) as the default, oh
and make sure that this is all perfect before installing Postgres
otherwise you'll hate character encodings until you dump, hack, and
restore all your databases (and the Postgres thingy - urm cluster that
is the word. although that was an etch -> lenny grief not a lenny ->
squeeze thing IIRC).

Applications should by now all be UTF-8 aware.

I think this was what they had in mind about Unix becoming ten times
larger, but not ten times better, except in this case we can blame Ken
Thompson personally - he should have stuck to chess programming if you
ask me ;)

srw@derek:~$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"