Re: [LUG] NTFS woes...

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jun 2011, Dava wrote:

yet hdparm gives:

dava-laptop dava # sudo hdparm -v /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid exchange
readonly      =  0 (off)
readahead     = 256 (on)
geometry      = 2097152/64/32, sectors = 4294967296, start = 0

4294967296 sectors of 512 bytes is 2TB... So somethings not quite right here.

That's the numbers the kernel will use when gauging its size...

I'm wondering if it's one of those fake ones - with less real storage than is advertised...

However - lets check for bad blocks -

  badblocks -s -c 256 /dev/sdb

and see what happens. I'm suspecting it's not going to like it though.

If some sectors are readable, then you might want to try dd_rescue

  dd_rescue -A /dev/sdb /var/tmp/stick.img

Gordon

Still scanning, will let you know the result after "badblocks"
Funny i didnt event notice the sectors, 2TB thumb drive, good going :P

Dave