Re: [LUG] New recruit for DCGLUG ??

On 28/05/11 12:16, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2011, Arley Bushill wrote:

In order to keep my brain lubricated and to provide a service for gliding club members I have decided to make a website giving up to the minute local weather information. At present I have a weather station with up to date information fed on USB to a Windows program which in turn updates my website through ftp. The problem with this arrangement is that my computer has to be powered up all the time in order to give up to date info on the website. My website URL is http://www.budemac.talktalk.net/weather/ (which at present is NOT updated).

Hi Arley,

You might be intersted in talking to an old friend of mine who runs this site:

  http://www.landsendweather.info/

his name is John Chappell. Email john @ landsend.. etc.

I think he's running Windows too, but he was looking at moving to Linux some time back, however I've not chatted to him for a while.

To address the problem I am in the process of buying a mini desktop preloaded with XUBUNTU that is low powered and can be connected to the weather station all the time. I understand that there are Linux weather programs available that I will be able to modify to my requirements.

I'd probably look at an ultra low powered device, but these are typically ARM based - the next best thing is 4-5 watts for an ALIX board. That's a 500MHz AMD chip that runs Linux OK.

Cheers,

Gordon

Just to warn that, according to the LUBUNTU site (Rollys e-mail) Ubuntu (and hence xUbuntu) support for the AMD geode (ALIX boards ) is to be dropped.
Tom te tom te tom