Re: [LUG] New recruit for DCGLUG ??

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Arley Bushill
<arley.bushill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Introduction:
> Retired engineer 70 living in Bude Cornwall.
> Have dabbled with Linux: DSL PUPPY and UBUNTU. but nothing serious.  I am
> teaching myself HTML.
> My hobbies are: Model Engineering (Lathe/Milling Machine) and Model R/C
> cliff gliding.
>
> In order to keep my brain lubricated and to provide a service for gliding
> club members I have decided to make a website giving up to the minute local
> weather information.
> At present I have a weather station with up to date information fed on USB
> to a Windows program which in turn updates my website through ftp.
> The problem with this arrangement is that my computer has to be powered up
> all the time in order to give up to date info on the website.
> My website URL is http://www.budemac.talktalk.net/weather/ (which at present
> is NOT updated).
>
> To address the problem I am in the process of buying a mini desktop
> preloaded with XUBUNTU that is low powered and can be connected to the
> weather station all the time.
> I understand that there are Linux weather programs available that I will be
> able to modify to my requirements.
>
> Hence the interest in DCGLUG and I intend to come to the Holsworthy meeting
> on 18th June if this is OK to find out what you are all about.
> Will there be ethernet access to the internet and 240v socket available ?
>
> Regards
> Arley

Hello Arley,

Welcome to the mailing list. :-D

Afraid I dont know about weather programs for linux - others will
hopefully comment.

If you are interested in using Xubuntu, you may also be interested in
Lubuntu which I *think* is even "lighter" and perhaps is becoming the
stock light weight ubuntu distribution? Again others may correct this!

http://lubuntu.net/

As far as I know the Holsworthy meeting has power and Wifi. Not sure
about ethernet (wired) access.

Best wishes
roly :-)

PS, If you have not seen this already, it may prove useful :-) ....
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/node/26