Re: [LUG] Outlook to Thunderbird Re: XP to Debian ...

On 23 May, 2011, at 7:25 am, tom wrote:

On 22/05/11 19:56, Simon Waters wrote:
On 22/05/11 19:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:
A few google searches suggested simply copying it over from the XP box
"as is" - which is what I did - I used the file manager to copy the
entire Thunderbird profile directory from the XP side to the
.thunderbird directory - and it worked! No exporting accounts,
addresses, themes, settings, etc.
I meant for Outlook and many other clients the easy route is into
Thunderbird on Windows, and then over to Thunderbird on GNU/Linux.

The Outlook export uses the API, they use to include it in the GNU/ Linux version of Thunderbird even though it wouldn't work without the relevant
Microsoft DLLs for accessing the Outlook mail store.

Does this mean Outlook (and Outlook Express) can be transferred to Thunderbird more or less seamlessly?

I have used Thunderbird in a MS Exchange shop. Not seamless -- you don't get the scheduling and calendar -- but complete and correct as far as mail goes.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63