Re: [LUG] MS Giving stuff away.

----- Original Message ----

From: Eion MacDonald <eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 19 May, 2011 4:10:23
Subject: Re: [LUG] MS Giving stuff away.

--- On Thu, 19/5/11, Gibbs <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Gibbs <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 On 19/05/11 11:01, JOHN DAVEY wrote:
     I got told off for installing Open Office. She was a bit vauge about it
though,

aparently the committee wouldn't like it.
Jon Davey.

    You could try and justify it
        by saying its free (£0), better, portable, cross-platform, more
        accessible (available online for free) and more compatible.

Also: for safety you should have a minimum of two of each of:
Browsers:  How do you correct if IE in Windows goes wrong? Need another to get
to internet to reload files

Suggest IE, Firefox,
For office applications: Need a back to read files if MS Office goes wrong thus
use OpenOfffice.org or LibreOffice
Also OO.o or LO can be set to alwasy save in MS Doc format (suggest 97/2003) so
others can read your files if sent to them.
regards
Eion MacDonald

We do use both Firefox and IE incase one stopps working. So the same stratergy
with Office should make sense to 'them'.
Good idea, Thanks.
Jon Davey.