Re: [LUG] apt ate my resolv.conf

On Tue, 17 May 2011, Keith Abraham wrote:

On 16/05/11 16:41, Philip Hudson wrote:
Just did a debian apt-get dist-upgrade, new kernel, so rebooted, stone me, blank resolv.conf WTF!

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

I don't know if you are using a very recent kernel on a Debian system but if you are then any resolv.conf in /etc/ should no longer exist or at least point to /etc/run/resolv.conf/resolv.conf. I think this is all to do with the new /run directory where many things will live in the future including resolv.conf.

eh?

What has the kernel got to do with it?

I'm runnig various debians including squeeze, some with 2.6.36.x and all have /etc/resolv.conf. it's been that way for 20 years, why change it now?

Is this a new thing... just debian, or all distros?

seems to me they're fixing something that isn't broken...

Gordon