Re: [LUG] Video chat

On Wed, 11 May 2011, Adrian Midgley wrote:

Ekiga I suspect could use some productising.

And so could a lot of software we use... e.g. Linux on the desktop...

But that's got me thinking - Skype although proprietary & closed source is very well "productised", yet who's paying the developers to make it so?

How can they be worth $8 million if there's no revenue stream? (Ok, there is in the form of Skype-Out, etc. but is that covering their costs?)

Of have I missed something obvious...

Ekiga comes with the ability to setup an Egkiga.net account to let you chat for free with anyone else who has an Ekiga.net account - as do Gigaset DECT phones (on gigaset.net), and Google Voice, etc.

I think Skype just got in there first with their own (effectively) closed network and a good product that actually worked well and got round all the hassles of NAT, firewalls, etc.

Gordon