Re: [LUG] Video chat

On 11/05/11 11:27, Neil Winchurst wrote:
There have been a lot of emails about Skype recently. I have relations in Australia and California who use some system whereby they can talk to family over here and also see each other on the screen. As you can tell I do not know much about it.

I have heard of Skype and Ekiga. I also heard on the news last night that MS has just bought Skype. That has put me right off Skype.

Anyway, is it all a lot of work/expense and is it worth the bother at the end please?

Does anyone have any suggestions etc.?

Neil

the skype linux app is free and easy to use (calls are free if made PC to PC). There is also a similar yahoo app which also has a linux version. If you are usining kde then you can use kopete which has protocols for skype, yahoo and others. I think pidgin will do the same if you're a gnome.

Simon