Re: [LUG] ubuntu sound problems

On 10/05/11 19:44, David Bell wrote:

> Yes! Brand new laptop with an Intel (ALC272) chip.

Reading around it looks like it works for some, is it a Samsung by any
chance?

> What a mess - back to 1994 trying to get sound cards to work:(

It is worse when it happens to hardware you own and you know no kernel
developers are likely to care about that hardware ever again since then
I'm tempted to hack kernel code and that is a bad idea.

More details would be useful
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure seems
useful but suggests installing and running scripts rather randomly.

If it were me my first guess would be "they broke it in the kernel" thus
Q1) is there a newer kernel I can try? Q2) Is there an older kernel I
can try? Only after exhausting that would I bother troubleshooting
beyond looking at the output of various commands and making sure nothing
obvious is wrong.

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/kernel/