Re: [LUG] Scanning slides

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Have had a bit of a clear up at home recently and came across some
boxes of slides from the days before digital cameras. This got me
wondering, is it possible/easy to scan colour slides into my computer?
If so can anyone suggest the best way to go about it please? I have
never used a scanner with Linux, so I don't know what is available out
there.

Yes, it's easy - with the right hardware, but see comments I posted
recently ... Basically it'll take you most time that you've got
(depending on how many slides, of-course), unless you get a posh
multi-feed slide scanner and software capable of automatically scanning,
colour correcting, dust removing, and saving ...

VueScan and e.g. A Nikon unit is recomended - but make sure you get one
with a IR scanner as that can help with automatic dust removal.

I have an older Canon Canoscan FS2700 unit - good, but no IR and takes
about 30 seconds to scan a slide - and that's without manual touch up...

I gave up trying to scan slides & negs shortly after that and bought a
digital camera...

I have a digital camera now, but a lot of my slides are quite old now and can never be repeated. I am looking to choose some and transfer them to the computer, possibly to print them.

I will have a look at vuescan. An IR scanner? Will check that out.

Thanks

Neil