Re: [LUG] Fwd: Google fined $5m over patent row

On 27/04/11 08:55, Roland Tarver wrote:
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Adrian Midgley<amidgley@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
'A judgement by a Texas jury against Google could have major implications
for the search giant and the open source world said experts. The internet
titan was found guilty of infringing a patent related to the Linux kernel
and fined $5m (£3.2m).'

I think the expert is well-acquainted with microsoft's interests, but
may be less reliable on this.

The Texas court is the weirder end of the US' weirdness on software patents.

And this has prior art.  It is a sales tactic, I suspect.

"Google likely to appeal, and win, Linux patent infringment verdict"....

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/google-likely-appeal-and-win-linux-patent-inf

I little more on this story here. The author of the article seems to
smell a rat....Microsoft.....

Roly :-)

MS, Apple, IBM, Oracle and many others would be breaching this 'patent' and next in line once bedrock gained any money from Google. It just their source code is not immediately available. I'm beginning to wonder if Google are playing the SCO card - its a ridiculous patent so they will just keep appealing until they move to a non-mickey mouse court and win and bedrock will probably have lost a lot more than the $5M they may stupidly think they just won. Its not worth Googles effort to fight this hard in lower courts so I'm wondering if they may be looking long term and thinking of breaking software patents and parochial courts.
Tom te tom te tom