Re: [LUG] OT : Data recovery from "windows" (FAT32?) memory stick.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26/04/11 19:56, Roland Tarver wrote:
>
>> Again, thank you very much folks. Much appreciated :-)
>>
>> In turns out that she managed to recover the data on her own somehow.
>> I do not know how, but am pleased she did (probably saved me a drive
>> to Plymouth).
>>
>> However, I am going to save all the very useful info in this thread
>> for future use. It's *bound* to happen again.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Best wishes
>> roly :-)
>>

> Probably a good idea if she makes a couple of backups just in case. Even if
> she uses something like the Windows Live Sky Drive or Google Docs as a
> backup (or if she was running Ubuntu, Ubuntu One).
>
> Rob

Indeed. I suggested 4 of the recently posted options (from the other
conversation that I saved ;-)) lol...

I think i suggested dropbox, spideroak, strongspace and livedrive.

Her plight, and one of Gordons comments (thank u) got me thinking
about my own backups (just the one to ext. drive)....

So, I tried to download the spideroak deb file. Downloaded fine (as
far as i know) but ran into an error when it was installing, something
about a dependency. Since time is precious atm, so rather than mess
about, i wrote a very simple (!) rsync script that backs things up to
a mem stick instead. lol.

So, i now have two on-site backups. But nothing online. Unless a major
disaster occurs at Tarver HQ, I hope this will suffice for the next
month or so.

Thanks again for all the advice.

O, by the way Rob, this is the same lass who has the busted net
book.... lol (not her week eh!)

roly :-)