Re: [LUG] OT : Data recovery from "windows" (FAT32?) memory stick.

On 26/04/11 11:13, Roland Tarver wrote:
Hi Folks,

One of my friends has just lost a large amount of uni work from her
memory stick. The memory stick *was* her backup device but after a
recent laptop failure it is the only copy of her work.  I have no
further details on the circumstances of the loss nor do I have time to
research/test myself which piece of software may help her. Can anyone
recommend something please. I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Best wishes
roly :-)

I'd suggest Testdisk - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

It's available for Linux and Windows (and DOS, *BSD, MacOS X).

If it was me, and I was extra paranoid I'd take a DD image of the drive before hand on Linux and try and recover the data from the image file. Maybe also write protect the stick if possible.

Also under no circumstances save anything else on to the stick until the stuff has been recovered.

Rob