Re: [LUG] OSS DTP ... (ie. Publisher looka-a-likes)

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 23/04/11 21:14, Gordon Henderson wrote:

And I have to say, watching her struggle to use it, I'm starting to
think that too - a seemingly simple task she showed me in Publisher -
inset some clip-art, resize it, move it into place - a doddle in
publisher, required that Scribus launch gimp to do the image
manipulation...

What is wrong with "Properties">"Image" and pick the size you want? (it
would be "F2" for Properties but I have that mapped to firing up a
calculator.

Pick the "Scale to frame size" option means you can resize by dragging
the edges of the frame, no idea if you can make this the default as I
don't use Scribus ;)

Oh "File" "Preferences" "Tools" Pick "Image" and you can make "Scale to
Frame Size" the default.

I'll have a look for those, thanks.

Nothing wrong other than lack of knowledge.

I suspect Scribus has such an arcane default because it is trying to
clone a different DTP package ;) Hard to please everyone all the time,
especially with the same set of default settings.

So she's on the verge of spending £120 on publisher... Unless there is
an alternative?

Depends how much DTP she does, it may be cheaper to buy publisher than
learn an alternative.

She needs to produce leaflets, etc. fairly regularly. Not actually starting her new "thing" until August though, so no immediate rush.

Gordon