Re: [LUG] OSS DTP ... (ie. Publisher looka-a-likes)

On 23 April 2011 21:14, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wifey is struggling with Scribus - after X years of using publisher (curtsey of her employer, DCC, who's just made her redundant), she thinks it's utter rubbish.

And I have to say, watching her struggle to use it, I'm starting to think that too - a seemingly simple task she showed me in Publisher - inset some clip-art, resize it, move it into place - a doddle in publisher, required that Scribus launch gimp to do the image manipulation...

So she's on the verge of spending £120 on publisher... Unless there is an alternative?

It's probably the one thing that would stop her going over to Linux and give-up her XP desktop once and for-all, however...

Any suggestions welcome...

Gordon

Never found anything better than Scribus when my mum changed over but if you know any students you can get office for £40 instead of £120 from softwareforstudents just make sure you pay for the disks not just the one time download.