Re: [LUG] OT: Comparing oil, gas and electricity

On 22/04/11 18:52, Kai Hendry wrote:

> So with these dilemmas in mind, can anyone offer tips how I can plot
> when perhaps switching over to electric becomes worthwhile?

You'll need to do the maths sorry.

The cheapest electric heating to run (not install) is probably a heat pump.

Water source heat pumps are generally considered better (marginal in
field trials) than air source but more expensive to fit, and the
benefits over air aren't that marked unless you have some conveniently
located (deep) lake (do you? Maybe a Farm might be a good place to fit one).

The cheapest of these to install fits over a modern door way, pumps heat
from outside, and acts as an air heater inside the door. Can be fitted
by as a DIY project.

You might want to go up market and get one that heats the water in your
existing central heating.

Electric heat pumps are typically two to three times more efficient that
simply turning electricity into heat, but they still aren't competitive
with mains gas. They might already be competitive with bottled gas or
oil, and are certainly more convenient.

Energy savings trust think electric heat pump is 40 quid a year more
than oil for a 3 bed semi when running at 220% (which was average in
their study - some performed at 300% which makes them cheaper than oil
already, in all cases they emit less carbon than conventional heating -
oil, gas or electric). Obvious the recent changes in oil prices may have
changed that figure in favour of heat pumps already, assuming
electricity price increases are less than oil price increases (which I
think they have been).

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generate-your-own-energy/Air-source-heat-pumps

Do read their comparison and take advice from a heating installer.

Almost certainly installation costs will dominate any savings in
operation (for any option but especially heat pumps because they are
relatively uncommon still), so probably not worth doing until the oil
boiler (or gas boiler) is dying unless the energy saving trust or
someone will give you some money towards it (think carbon offsetting).

Since the market is warped by things like carbon offsetting it is hard
to give a definitive answer but the tables in the link given should help
answer the question even if you opt for conventional electric heating.

 Simon