Re: [LUG] Storing photos

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011, Kai Hendry wrote:

For those thinking they might be safe-ish with their images as slides
or negatives or what not. I would argue it's a better idea to start
digitizing ASAP. My family's old negatives were shockingly unusable.
http://natalian.org/archives/2011/03/30/Scanning_family_photographs/
Fairly well stored slides were very fragile and these 30 year old
slides were professionally scanned by http://www.click2scan.co.uk/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hendry/sets/72157626481260496/ with dust
removal options. If you looks closely there are lots of issues.

So get busy archiving!

Have you actually tried to do this?

9 years ago, I made an effort and bought a SCSI slige/negative scanner - the down-side is that I have several thousand images to scan - about 2/3 negative the rest slide.

I gave up. Scanned the ones I really was interested in and left the rest.

Scanning negatives is hard and very time consuming.

Scanning slides is easier - if you get a scanner capable of batch processing - and the software to go with it (I recomend VueScan)

After that, I continued to use film for a while, but found a processor in Bristol that would scan the negatives as they were printed and write a CD. (Kodak photo CD's at the time) until I got a digital camera...

And oddly enough I've just looked out my old film camera as I'm thinking on getting a new DSLR - my old one was a Pentax and I have a few nice lenses for it, so I suspect my next DSLR will be a Pentax too...

Gordon