Re: [LUG] Storing photos

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Had some grief from my daughter today. I have a new computer and I
> transferred things like her bookmarks from the old one. But what about all
> her photos I was asked.
>
> I have copied her photos from backup storage on a DVD so that is OK. But it
> started me thinking. Would it be a good idea to suggest that she store her
> photos on line somewhere? This already happens with her emails since I use
> an IMAP system.
>
> Would that be a good idea? And if so, where would be a good place. This is
> purely for storage, she is not into photo sharing on line. It is just a way
> of making sure that if anything happens to this computer her photos are
> safe.

The online services seem a bit limited:-

Drop box is 2GB.
https://www.dropbox.com/help/14

Google docs is 1GB.
http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=37603

At least these are the limits before you start paying.

Especially if the data you want to store does not change too often,
could you just keep an off-site back-up at a friends or family members
house? or even in the car? (depending on how close it is parked to
your house lol!!!). External hard disk?

Or, if the changes are more frequent, perhaps a file server at a
friends/lug members!? house, which you can remotely access. Obviously
it would not always need to be powered-up, just when you wanted to
back something up. This might avoid the costs of online services
(although I have not determined these). I guess it depends on how much
data you are looking to store, how frequently and what the cost of
each option is likely to be.

Also, if you have never done setup a remote file server before,
perhaps it would be a really good learning curve? As a novice, it
certainly would be for me. I think I might be talking myself into it!
lol.  Of course, there might be security or other issues surrounding
this option that I am not aware of. Others will know better....

Best wishes
roly :-)