Re: [LUG] re Broadband Migration - one day you can have it, next day you can't!!!

On 15 April 2011 18:07, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 15/04/11 06:44, Vivi Griffin wrote:
I wondered if anyone could explain what happened to me recently, when I
was trying to migrate our broadband to a cheaper provider?

About 1 week ago, I did some checking up and found that O2 were offering
a very competitive broadband deal. I checked the availability at that
point and their website said we could have this deal. I called them and
it was confirmed on the phone. However, I checked again, once I had got
the mac code from our current provider and the only package they could
offer me was their very inferior "access" package that was offering
considerably less for a lot more than we are currently paying. When I
called O2, they said that other people locally using my local exchange
had probably got in ahead of me in placing their own orders and that is
why they could no longer offer this deal.

Ahh I see, it sounds like what you've seen is their LLU pricing.

Basically O2 have equipment installed in SOME but not ALL BT exchanges.  They tend to cherry pick the profitable exchanges (as it happens my local exchange isn't considered profitable enough for them, maybe because Virgin cover the area, although Talktalk have equipment in my local exchange).

If you're lucky enough to be attached to an exchange that has O2 LLU kit installed then yes, you can get up to 20 Meg broadband with various usage limits.

However, IF you're not attached to one of those exchanges with O2 equipment in them then you're limited to the O2 Access product which uses the BT equipment which would give you up to 8 Meg, possibly up to 24 Meg depending if your exchange has been enabled for ADSL2+).

I did actually nearly move to O2 but had the same problem.  As it turned out the O2 Access package was over subscribed and they didn't have enough bandwidth so it turned out to be pretty slow, rather than switching to O2 I went to Virgin (cable) and BT (got free BT broadband from my mum as she worked for BT at the time, but that's another story, short version, BT were a bunch of numpties and the speed was crap).

I quickly placed an order with my 2nd choice of provider (Plusnet),
before that offer could disappear as well! However, I really don't
understand how this could have happened.

See above.

To be honest your Mac code would have been valid for 30 days anyway. Plusnet are now owned by BT.  I can't comment if the service is any better or worse under BT, but BT Sheffield, sorry Plusnet were reasonable about 9 years ago when I was with them.  I can't remember why I jumped ship now.

I presume PlusNet are offering you a 12 or 18 month contract?

Even stranger, I checked availability with my current provider (Zen
Internet) and the online availability checker said that they were not
available as an option either.

Maybe it's because you already had ADSL on the line?

I know in the past when I've checked sometimes the ISP has said that I already have ADSL, although that was a long while ago.

I am guessing that the ISP's that are offering these deals are only
trying to attract a certain number of new customers and then they are
reducing the availability to the areas where the exchanges are LLU. In
our case, I have checked Moretonhampstead and it isn't. Therefore, I
don't understand how I was able to get the package we are on now, as the
LLU Exchange checker says that this is not available. Plusnet is not
listed at all.

I doubt it, O2 don't tend to offer the O2 Access at the same price as their LLU broadband.  Check the small print, it may say in 'enabled areas only'.  Virgin do this when they offer up to 50 Meg fibre optic (pah!) broadband, in the small print it says cabled areas only.

If however you got this offer when you put your phone number in, then it might be something wrong with the O2 site maybe?

If anyone can clarify how this all works, I would be most grateful.

See above, hope it helps.

"confused" of Moretonhampstead.

If you want to know what (if any) LLU is available on your exchange check out www.samknows.com and do an exchange search.  It'll tell you what is available in your area.

Oh and this might be of some interest to you (IF it goes ahead)...

http://tinyurl.com/3hnjehl

One last thing, sometimes cheaper isn't always better (although I can't talk, I'm getting 50 Meg broadband for £25 a month from Virgin and it isn't too bad, not great but not bad either).

Rob

 Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments. I said I would go on to a 12 month contract with Plusnet because they were going to charge me a 25.00 fee to get their service otherwise.

Initially, I opted for Plusnet Extra - 11.49 for the first 3 months rising to 17.99 per month after that. This gets us 60gb downoad per month and unlimited off peak downloads. I am currently paying 24.99 per month to Zen for 50gb per month - no off peak allowance.

Plusnet do traffic shaping (which Zen do not do) but, I have had a look at their document explaining how this works and don't think this will affect us too much.

However, what made it a no brainer, was I got a mailshot from them in the post offering 6 months free broadband. I contacted them and they agreed to change me over to this deal, as I had only placed my order yesterday. Since this will save us 149.94 for the next 6 months / 191.94 over the year, I thought it was worth giving them a try, even though there was the risk that the service would not be as good as we were used to.

I would be definitely interested in fibre broadband that you sent me that link about but, don't know how long it will take before this is available. Until I can get a good service, I guess I'll have to settle for a cheap one.

Viv

P.S. Feel free to nominate me for that "Super Scrimpers" program on C4, if you think this bit of moneysaving makes me eligible