Re: [LUG] Formatting external drives etc

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I have a USB memory stick and may one day need an external hard drive.
When bought how will they be formatted? And if I would like them to be
formatted to eg EXT4 what would be the best utility to use?

They're usually pre-formatted.

Get your command-line out and work out what device it's come up as, or
just type

fdisk -l

and you'll get all devices.

For 'formatting', use the mkfs command. e.g.

mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb1

if it's sdb1...

However what will probably happen is that your distro-du-jour will have
auto-mounted it for you which should stop you being able to format it.
You'll need to work out how to unmount it, or stop your distro
auto-mounting it at plug-in time before you can re-format it.

Gordon

Thanks for that last bit. I guessed it would not be entirely straightforward. More research!!

Neil