Re: [LUG] fings wot slows your firefox

On 03/04/11 14:53, James Kilty wrote:

> I wondered about this, but it seems clear it is about starting up and
> says nothing about running. Do any mentioned slow down the running?

Of course some do.

Depends what they do and how they do it.

Firebug for example seems to consume memory with time which makes the
whole machine laggy, although you can enable it on a per web page basis
when you are looking for an issue, but if you leave that page open in a
tab it will end up slowing the box down. I assume all the stats
gathering it does has to slow things down, but it isn't noticeable at
work on rather under powered PC.

NoScript almost certainly will slow stuff down if you enable everything
on a page given it applies various checks to every request. On the other
hand it also speeds things up by disabling stuff if you don't enable
everything. I suspect in most cases if it removes any unneeded network
round-trips it will more than compensate for any extra work it does
inside your machine. The bigger problem with NoScript is the amount of
truly badly constructed web technology that these days causes it to
issue "false" positives (i.e. complain about stuff that is badly done
but you'd want to work anyway).

But they are plug-ins so one can always disable them or uninstall them,
the bigger pain would be having a browser without the relevant features.

That said IE and Chrome have developer tools that try and mimic firebug,
we still use Firebug - nuff said, although Chrome is pretty close and
there is a firebug lite for Chrome to fill the gaps which I haven't
properly tested yet.

 Simon