Re: [LUG] EICC

On 31 Mar 2011, at 23:39, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 31/03/11 23:31, techservices wrote:

>>> Will be in Paignton, can someone log in to the lug irc channel while at
>>> the meeting and see if we can get a link up going :D  if time permits
>>> that is,  but should be able to log in to IRC at least.
>>>
>>> Who and where is this being promoted, I think it works best if people
>>> send you ideas and one person takes the lead, that way 2 or 3 people are
>>> not sending a similar article to the same person for possible publication.
>>>
>>> Will there be a website for the EICC or can you get a page on the Exwick
>>> Community centre website,  the former may be easier for things like
>>> promotion.
>>>
>>> I will move the paignton meeting for may ( I need to anyway for BMAD)
>>> that frees up the first Saturday in the month, for Exeter meet and then
>>> the 2nd Saturday will be the Paignton Meet :D
>>>

>>> Paul
>>>
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> I am the point of contac for EICC.
>>
>> Yes there will be a webpage dedicated to EICC, it will be going up on the
>> community centre website, just waiting on the domain transfer which is in a state
>> of lock for some reason.
>>
>> EICC will be on the 1st Saturday of each month, it's great that your willing to
>> move the Paignton meeting Paul, thank you so much. I shall come along in May, and
>> say hello.
>>
>> Also we have an initiative the community laptop programme, we have sourced a
>> supplier of recycled laptops and we provide training and install guidance for
>> Linux. People in the community who want to get PC savvy and don,t have mich
>> money, can join the course which takes 3 sessions. At the end of which the can
>> buy the laptop for Â25, so far we've had quite a few takers, and there will be a
>> couple along on Saturday for the training.
>>
>> I,d love to get the initiative going elsewhere, like Paignton
>>
>> Thanks Rick
>>>

> that could work round here, esp in areas where there is a large number
> of people on very low incomes,
>
> I did e-mail the local councillor in ellacombe about promoting OSS , he
> said he would bring up the issue of using / promoting open source at a
> community meeting, and get back to me with any out come, (I await this
> outcome as I type).
>
> I even suggested we held a meeting at the local children's centre in
> Ellacombe.

Great, well I will get all the bits and prices sorted as we pilot this one, and then
we can look at rolling it out elsewhere in say 3 months time, once we,ve got it
working in Exeter.

In the interim, keep your eye's and ears open for people who have access to
redundant PC,s and laptops, usually tech firms and IT support companies. Identi.ca
and twitter are your friends here, post a few tweets asking for stuff.