Re: [LUG] ooh something good comes from facebook!! mended

On 31/03/11 10:30, tom wrote:
> Doh!
> https://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wiki/
>
> I'm surprised its only 70% increase - I guess coding techniques for PHP
> are not as developed...

I think that most PHP is dealing with requests in a fairly linear
fashion, and Facebook had a fairly optimised systems to start with. The
difficult bits in performance are probably already function calls in PHP
so already compiled and optimised. So they are probably only gaining by
eliminating small structural costs (forking from Apache etc).

The technique is going to be of interest only to high traffic PHP sites.

There are a lot of things wrong with PHP, but there are lots of
techniques to improve performance of PHP and facebook would have been
using all of them that are sound before the switch.

I suspect the "interesting" bit of facebook is the database side, with
memcache and mysql, although I'm tempted to write a free software
replacement just to prove some points.....

 Simon