Re: [LUG] Desire-Z, anyone?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Shaun Orchard wrote:

On 29 March 2011 09:50, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyone got a Desire-Z?

My N900 is a bit flakey now - display is wonky after I dropped it )-: and
while I'll probably get it fixed, it's lacked one or 2 things that's now
making me think of getting something else...

I basically need a screen+keyboard phone with ssh/putty - and the ability
to ssh in to it (rsync, etc.) or run a local (x)term is a bonus. I'm not a
great music fan, so storage isn't that important. SIP client is important
though - as is the big thing that the n900 lacks - navigation & a compass..

The reviews of the Desire-Z seem to indicate that it's a bit wobbly due to
the keyboard in/out mechanism, but that seems to be the only big issue with
it...

So has anyone got one or can give any comments, or suggest an alternative?

(And it goes without saying that a Win phone is out of the question - as is
another Nokia, not that they have anything sensible now)

If you are looking at getting an Android device, consider either the Nexus
One or Nexus S.

Thanks, but neither of these have a keyboard. They have an on-screen one, but I want a real one. Might as well get a 'tablet' if I'm going for an on-screen keyboard...

I have tried wifeys standard Desire with the on-screen keyboard, and it's just a bit too fiddly for me. I want more screen for text to read. Maybe it's what you're used to. I've had Nokia Communicators for the past 10 years... (currently gone back to my old E90)

Unlike the Desire Z and other Android devices, these phones
are updated directly by Google and so get the latest OS updates first (they
both have Android 2.3, unlike almost every other device).

There's also the advantage that the Nexus One is a little older and is cheap
on eBay etc, but if you are upgrading or taking out a contract it may be
worth looking at the S.

I've no real interest in a contract - I'll buy it outright and put my existing SIMs in it. The -S is also nearly £70 more than the Desire Z too. (e.g. £407 vs. £339 from Handtec)

Still... It's the keyboard that's the thing I want. Need to do remote ssh, etc. to servers and stuff like that.

Thanks,

Gordon