Re: [LUG] Spreading the open source message

On 28/03/11 12:08, Neil Winchurst wrote:
There is much discussion on the list about getting people and businesses to move over to open source. Now I am fine with that. Being a pensioner my main reason for spreading the word is to help some of our older citizens to save some money. I suspect that many of them are just using a computer for some email and a bit of browsing. I can't see the fun in paying lots of money to MS for that.

However when I hear that so many businesses, schools etc are stuck in their ways and have no interest in moving across my immediate reaction is 'Fine. Let them get on with it. Their loss.' Meanwhile I will still continue saving money and having fun with my computer using Linux.

But there seems to be quite a strong desire among list members to really work hard at this. I must be missing something here. If people really don't want to know should we care?

Anyone have any comments please?

Neil Winchurst

i see your point, its hard to have one single meeting where we reach out to many different groups, perhaps we can do work shops in places where older people go, but i think it would be good if older members took the lead there.

lets see if between the group we can use our diverse membership to reach out to as many different groups as possible,

all we can do is try, if we fail in one particular sector, move on, and aim elsewhere, perhaps when pensioners learn of oss they will ask for help on that on courses, which concentrate on MS office, which may force change elsewhere.

lets take my previous talks idea and turn this in to either talks or work shops aimed at a specific sector and see who has contacts that can help.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day