Re: [LUG] UK - Closed Source Stronghold

On 27/03/11 13:43, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> "Lord L.... owns all for twenty miles around and is immensely wealthy"
> "*He can afford to wear old clothes!*"
>
> I have always remembered this description of the real wealthy

The famed remark used most famously in reference to Heseltine being the
kind of person who "buys his own furniture" captures it nicely. One of
my wealthier acquaintances inherited a fair chunk of her wardrobe.

On the software front I think there is an assumption that paying for it
gets you better support, or some sort of claim on the authors if it goes
wrongs. Clearly no one reads the end user license, but then no one reads
the manuals and they are easier to read and the print is bigger.