Re: [LUG] Uploading files - dates

On 11/03/11 13:25, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I have noticed that when I upload any files to my website via FTP that
the original dates of the files do not get copied across. The date
shown is the date of the upload.

Is there any way to have the original dates copied across?

It depends on how you do the copy. Can you use rsync? That has the
ability to preserve timestamps.

I don't think the FTP protocol actually allows changing timestamps.

Do you have shell acces to the remote site? If so, FTP up a TAR file and
unpack it locally... tar has the option of preserving timestamps and
filemodes.

Gordon

The short answer is that I don't know if I have shell access, bit I suspect not. It does not offer to unzip a file as one of the choices.

I will have a look at rsync, but that is so complicated!!!

Thanks

Neil