Re: [LUG] Own server

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Adrian Midgley wrote:

Postfix, Dovecot.  Two servers around here.

I started off with VPOP which is a Windows thing, and even sold and
maintained a copy for a local organisation.

Not hard, but does have to be correct.

A friend of mine up in Bristol sells/maintains VPOP on Windoze servers - to access the POP boxes that he provides for his clients. It's a windows equivalent of fetchmail that I think can inject into a local exchange, but it also seems to have it's own stuff built in.

But you lose some valuable envelope information doing it that way, and it's prone to feeding backscatter back to unsuspecting people who (if they have automatic spam detection) might then serve only to get the ISPs mailserver blacklisted...

But to do that means you need a POP server already hosted with an ISP somewhere...

So what's the options - see if you can find an ISP who'll do SMTP relaying for you - possibly using ETRN - I suspect these are few & far between now though. I did it for a client for a while once, but it's not something I do as standard. Even then, you need to be careful with backscatter.

Just have your email hosted somewhere that does IMAP and you're sorted - access via webmail, iBramble, laptop, destop, etc. and as long as you keep to imap and smtp-auth (on port 587) you should be fine for anything.

Gordon