Re: [LUG] Own server

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:45:16 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> Rather than go down the manually configure everything route I opted
> for an all-in-one distro called SME Server (currently version
> 7.5.1).  It's based on CentOS Linux although it does have a few
> modifications.  To configure it there is an easy to use web interface
> and by default the server provides Samba shares, Apache, PHP, MySQL
> and IMAP/POP3 e-mail with Horde for webmail.

I had a play with SME about 2 years ago - it was very nice, and dead
easy to setup and manage.  A bit OT but I would certainly recommend it
as a viable option for anyone looking at deploying Microsoft Small
Business Server.

> Or you could go down the build your own method.  This is what I'm
> looking at, not entirely sure what the best option is, I believe my
> existing e-mail server uses Dovecot and something else, QMail I think
> so I might have a look at that with maybe Squirrel Mail.

A previous employer used QMail (I imagine that's what was offered in
their bundle - I can't imagine them specifying it themselves).  It was
OK, but I preferred my setup.  GetMail to retrieve messages and
store in a maildir, dovecot to access 'em by IMAP and postfix for
SMTP.  Oh, and if you're interested in Squirrel Mail for a webmail
frontend, you should also check out RoundCube.net.

> Granted I could probably do the same with Google Mail (or Hotmail)
> but at least this way I have full control over my e-mail server.

To be honest, the reasons I moved away from running my own mail server
and now use Google Apps for my mail handling are:
 + I no longer need a machine at home running 24/7
 + I don't have to buy/rent hosting from anyone
 + I don't have to rely on my ISP's connection

I do miss the getting-my-hands-dirty aspect of it, and I do miss the
sheer flexibility of handling my own mail, but I find I miss it less
than I thought I would.

> The dis-advantage is when it goes wrong it's up to me to work out
> what's gone wrong and fix it. :-)

With the "ooh, that's an interesting idea, I'll see if I can fiddle with
my server and get it working" mentality that I have, it went wrong
quite often.  Grantedly I usually managed to get things fixed
relatively quickly, and often with the assistance of the LUG, but I'm
now not in a position where I can fiddle and I find my mail works
nicely. :D

> I'm thinking of resurrecting an old Via MiniITX PC for this purpose
> this weekend, maybe even try and configure it to share my Internet
> connection so I don't need to use a router (although I do wonder if I
> might be better with either using a standard router or using
> something like PfSense or IPCop on a box and then re-configuring my
> existing server).

If you have the spare parts and inclination for it, PfSense/IPCop
everytime!

Grant.