Re: [LUG] Own server

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:09:53 +0000
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Recently one of the list members mentioned that he had set up his own
> server for his emails. At the time it didn't register. Can anyone tell
> me anything about this please?
>
> What are the advantages, if any, and is it very complicated? I have
> looked around Google and it looks rather messy to me.
>
> Anyone??
>
> Neil

The advantages of doing so comes down, principally, to control.  Do you
want to have control over your own mail handling, or are you happy for
someone else to do so on your behalf?

It really isn't that hard to get a simple mail server up and running -
the hard bit is knowing all the options with regard to getting it
secure.

Grant.