From: Ray Smith <rjsmith@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] Laptop Repair
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, 10 February, 2011, 13:49

Turns out it was a motherboard fault.
As it was out of warranty they made me an offere based on 13 months usage
that I had out of it. For an extra £40 I should be able to replace it with
something of equal,if not slightly better spec based on what they've offered
and what I've looked at so far online.
Best of all they have agreed to pay me direct to my account instead of with
a voucher and gave me back the 500gb drive with my data on it.
Not a bad result, and a good example that just because something is out of
warranty it doesn't mean you lose your consumer rights.
PC world tech guys - no help at all. But the consumer claims department have
been excellent.

As an afterthought, looking at some models in store this morning,one laptop
had an error message at the Bios boot screen "Impending hard drive failure,
hit enter to continue or F12 to enter setup" The employee was busily moving
her finger over the trackpad and hitting ctrl+alt+del to reboot. I watched
her reboot and try the same thing 3 times before I walked out.

Ray