Re: [LUG] Postfix emails to smmsp and root?

On 07/02/11 18:37, Gibbs wrote:

> Also, whilst Im on the subject, is this setup correctly (I dont seem to
> be having any problems but the loopback got me thinking):
>
> myhostname = mail.mydomain.co.uk
>
> mydomain = mydomain.co.uk
>
> mydestination = mydomain.co.uk

I think stuff in your queue is failing and you are probably failing to
see the bounces as postmaster.

The smmsp are sendmail accounts AIUI, so not quite sure what is going on
- is it relaying for machines using sendmail by any chance?

Either way you probably want mail.mydomain.co.uk in mydestination

i.e

mydestination = mydomain.co.uk, mail.mydomain.co.uk

or

mydestination = $mydomain, $myhostname

I prefer the explicit syntax, depends how adverse you are to editing in
future when you rename stuff.

Of course there has to be some delivery for relevant addresses although
probably it'll use /etc/aliases if you haven't fiddled with the defaults
too much, and hopefully that has a postmaster and similar.

> Finally I've also noticed some access denied requests. After a quick
> Google it seems they're trying to use my mailserver, amazing since it's
> only been up a day on a new domain and IP!
>
> Feb  7 16:11:39 srv postfix/smtpd[5970]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> 118-167-7-34.dynamic.hinet.net[118.167.7.34]: 554
> 5.7.1<superedm001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>: Relay access denied;
> from=<8888@xxxxxxx>  to=<superedm001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  proto=SMTP
> helo=<87.239.22.114>

Ignore - hinet.net was the cess pit of the known universe as far as spam
sources go a while back - they were getting better, the bots probably
scan IPv4 address space and try anything that answers on port 25 to see
if it is an open relay. The good news is that IPv6 address space is
REALLY big (and empty) which makes scanning it much harder work so the
bad guys will have to do something less mindless.