Re: [LUG] Firewall - Paranoia v Cost

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, David Bell wrote:

Having run an IpCop box between my desktop PC/laptop and router for several
years I wonder if it is really necessary these days with routers having built
in firewalls.

Currently, if I run just my laptop and Speedtouch router, PCFlank tells me
that I pass all the intruder etc. tests with flying colours: whilst using a
grand total of 45 watts.

Is the addition of my IpCop box worth the extra 50 watts and noise? The
equipment runs continuously for about 14 hours each day.

In my opinion, no. It's not worth it. However I don't use speedtouch routers, so I've no idea of their capabilities. NAT, while no substitute for a proper firewall will hide >95% of issues you may see though.

Gordon