Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On 20/01/11 17:58, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Getting a bit more security minded. I have Googled SSH and searched
> cPanel on my computer and SSH seems rather complicated to me.
>
> Nobody sends me anything via the web except emails of course. The only
> FTP I use is the occasional transfer of a file from my desktop computer
> to my website. I am wondering if there is any need to bother with SSH.
>
> Anyone have any comments etc please?
>
> Neil

if your computer is on all the time, I guess ssh comes in handy for
getting access from outside the network or something.

you could install fail2ban as that will add extra level of protection in
that if you or someone else enters wrong password 3 times or what ever
is specified in the config access from that computer or ip will be blocked

if you have ssh installed then i guess you could use scp to copy files
over, rather then ftp.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day