Re: [LUG] Low powered NAS box

On 10/01/11 06:52, Rob Beard wrote:
On 09/01/11 23:59, Graham Pearce wrote:

I'm looking to make up a new low powered nas box to live in the loft in
the near future when
FTTC is enabled in my area, about march time ish. The motherboard that
I'm thinking about using

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/04/amd-zacate-mini-itx-motherboards-preview/3

Its faster than the Atom ION boards, It might land up with XBMC
installed on it at a later date.
It will be used for my email server, www, and teamspeak 3 server.
Up till now i've been using a VPS server, with whatever distro it comes
with. I'm fairly noobish with linux, so
what would be the a good distro for me in install. Once up and running,
it won't have a screen attached.
Being so new am I likely to run into any driver issues?

regards

Maybe Ubuntu would be a good choice.

Bear in mind though, the AMD graphics chipsets have rather lousy Linux
support, they do have reasonably proprietary drivers but if you want to
play HD video on them then you're possibly going to run in to issues.

However as the board has got one PCI express slot, you could pop in an
nVidia Geforce graphics card that supports VDPAU (I believe the Geforce
9XXX and upwards supports this) which will give you hardware
acceleration in XBMC.

Rob

I think I may stand corrected. I've just been reading about a review of XBMC [1] and it appears that XBMC now supports the Video Acceleration API which is supported by a variety of backends including the AMD/ATI proprietary drivers and by the looks of things some Intel graphics chipsets too.

[1] http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/396153-xbmc-100-goes-to-11

Rob