Re: [LUG] Gambas anyone?

On 10/01/11 09:18, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 05/01/11 10:25, Tony Ferris wrote:
On 01/04/2011 07:52 PM, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 4 Jan, 2011, at 8:36 am, tom wrote:

VB for Linux?
http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html

Very interested in this.

--
Phil Hudson PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

Thanks for pointing this out. A quick search in the Pclinuxos repository
and I see the latest stable version is available. Off to have a play...

Cheers,
Tony

I have been using version 2 for some time now. Previously I tried Real Basic which was good but became too expensive. I struggled with Gambas at first but now I think it is as good as any out there for Linux.

Well, so far I've been through the tutorials and now I'm reading the free Gambas pdf. I have a little experience of C and Python but this is much easier to get a gui up and running quickly.

Just discovered there are some tutorials in the Linux Format archive with information on how to connect to mysql databases.
There is a user group email help site. What I find encouraging is that many of the answers to problems come from the chap who wrote the program!! And he is preparing version 3 at the moment and is very happy to take on board suggestions from users. So Gambas is under active updating.

Thats another (Of the many) advantages of Linux. Being able to connect with the originators of these great programs is amazing. I'm very impressed and looking forward to Gambas Version 3.

Cheers,
Tony