Re: [LUG] OT: Software to turn every phone into a cell-tower

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Roland Tarver wrote:
>

>> http://telecomyatra.afaqs.com/news/?sid=2698_Software+to+turn+every+phone+into+a+cell-tower+
>>
>> "Peep Wireless Technology (PWT), a Delaware-based company, has
>> revealed a software app that turns a phone into a small cell tower
>> (client/server viral transmitter/receiver).
>
> Interesting until I read:
>
>  "This unique, proprietary technology  ... legal "backdoor"
>        technology..."
>
> My suspicion is that if they try to use this in the UK then they might get
> the DTI/Ocfom down on them like a tonne of bricks as they're then using the
> phone in an un-approved way to transmit on licensed frequencies.
>
> And I can't see the carriers liking phones being able to talk to each other
> directly (via GSM/3G) without going via the base towers... I'm not actually
> convinced it's possible.
>
> Gordon

> I'm not actually convinced it's possible.

Me neither. Although it does appear to work in the video clip that
Anthony pointed us at.

http://www.servalproject.org/

It could be very good at the scene of a major incident. As I
understand it communications are frequently a major hurdle in such
situations.

Roly :-)