Re: [LUG] bude recycling place

paul i just sent you an email offlist(ref computer)
alex the noob

--- On Mon, 3/1/11, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] bude recycling place
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, 3 January, 2011, 17:47

On 03/01/11 17:39, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Graham Pearce wrote:

>>> Never seen one at that price - always 40+
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>

>> Are there people seriously wanting this sort of hardware???? I've seen
>> some schools
>> that throw away 2.4-3Ghz P4's. If you want them, I'll see about
>> getting my hands on
>> them.
>
> I know - weird, itsn't it? I used to lust after old PCs, etc. and we all
> know we can run a 3-port 100Mb router, NFS/SMB/NAS, web, printer server,
> dog-walker on a 100MHz Pentium with 64Mb of RAM in it...
>
> But these days old PCs just suck too much power to be of any real use to
> me, so I'm slowly getting rid of my old stuff - I have 2 or 3 PC cases
> left with a selection of mobos from 1.8GHz Intel celeron to Athlon
> XP2400+ ... Once I've had a sort out they'll be up for grabs... Along
> with a box load of old IDE drives too...
>
> Gordon

I currently have a duron 1600 still going strong after about 8 years of
use, I would certainly be interested in some sort of upgrade path to a
2.4 ghz pc,  Ide drives are also useful.

It uses ddr 2700 333 ram,  so I am looking for a cheap 1gb memory module
to upgrade the ram in the shorter term

I cannot afford to buy a new computer or the parts to build one,  not on
what I get paid,  so would be interested in any working parts that i can
use.

I am aware they are power hungry but. I do care about the environment
but if I can't afford a new lower powered system then what other choices
to I have,  I would rather spend the money going on holiday.

Given my usage of computers is minimal, internet, open office, irc then
a new system would perhaps give me access to a better graphics card,
which would allow me to play some of the newer games using the newer
nvidia drivers (as these legacy drivers are now getting to the point
where games don't work with them)

also newer versions of any Linux are going to require better graphics
hardware i suspect if I want to run newer graphics systems and not use
legacy drivers.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day