Re: [LUG] Smart phones

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:42:22 +0000 (GMT)
Grant Phillips-Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Regarding SatNav - Nokia phones (certainly S60 based ones, not sure
> about others) have a free SatNav tool which can have the map data for
> offline usage; Android phones can use Google Maps with voice
> guidance, but it would seem that you need an Internet connection to
> use it (but I'm not sure if you need a constant connection or just an
> initial connection).

You don't need an internet connection as in WiFi although that can
make it easier for initial route planning. Google maps on Android
downloads updates for the maps over the mobile data connection (so
beware of the costs). There's a lot of data cached and the app tries to
get as much data as it can in advance (this makes navigation on foot
challenging as the phone can't really guess where you're going to go
wrong next).

The main issue with using Android / Google maps in a car is a
requirement to have a car kit which can keep the phone charged -
GPS/Edge take a lot of power, as well as keeping the display/audio
running for the entire journey. With a kit you should also plug the
headphone socket into your car stereo if you can get a working cable.
It does tend to rely on a decent initial connection - I have tried to
find out why I'm in a traffic jam *after* being stuck long enough to
turn the engine off, only to find I was also in a mobile blackspot....

I tend not to bother with the audio guidance, I use audio for music
playback and a free traffic app to get warning of problems via GPS/Edge.

--

Neil Williams