Re: [LUG] Ubuntu-Powered Tablet Coming In 2011

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:45:22 +0000
Roland Tarver wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:23:42 +0000
> > Roland Tarver wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=56292
> >>
> >> Apple started a revolution in the beginning of the year by
> >> launching its iOS tablet iPad and soon the space was filled with
> >> Android tablets cropping from all across the globe. The latest
> >> news of a new tablet comes from the far east but there is a catch,
> >> it is neither powered on iOS nor on Android but on the Linux OS
> >> Ubuntu. The tablet is rumoured to hit the market in early 2011. It
> >> was revealed by Gizchina's Andrew Sykes, "A new Linux powered
> >> tablet is on it's way!" .....
> >>
> >> That has surely got to help get linux into the main stream?
> >>
> >> Roly :-)
> >
> > I've just bought myself a shiny 10" Android tablet... just
> > researching how to get something like Debian onto it now. ;)
> >
> > Grant.
>
> Ooo - smart. Let us know how you get on. Do you think tablets will
> become the norm for mobile computing?; are they a passing fad? or will
> they just be another option after they have become well established?
>
> Not sure I fancy a computer without a real keyboard.
>
> roly :-)

I kinda subscribe to the whole "Star Trek technology will become a
reality" model.  I think tablets as they are *now* will possibly be a
passing fad, but I think the whole tablet-form touch-interface
computing thing will quite possibly be here to stay.

I got one of those fake-leather cases with integrated USB keyboard for
my tablet.  It does make some things easier, but it is surprising how
frequently I take the tablet out of the case and just use the touch
screen keyboard - at the moment I'm not doing a huge amount of
*typing*, but that will probably change when I get back to work.

Grant.