Re: [LUG] FOSS in schools (Was: Free ipad to every student????)

On 24/12/10 19:08, Philip Hudson wrote:
> I'm not the user in question, but I guess he uses Calc's
> save-as-Excel-format, or perhaps some delimited-text format.

Wrong end of stick.
All spreadsheets I know can save as MS Excel format. That is not the
problem.
QuickBooks can only "export to an actual MS Excel program" installed on
same machine. It cannot 'save' an MS Excel of other spreadsheet  format
file, it can only "open MS Excel" ( it calls MS Excel from QB internal
command , not a 'save to MS Excel' format command. ) and then import the
 sheet and then you save from Excel.
[Sorry , but I have used QuickBooks for years and run both Linux, FOSS
and MS software so I know this lock in is deliberate and vital to QB's
revenues.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald