Re: [LUG] FOSS in schools (Was: Free ipad to every student????)

On 24/12/10 17:26, Philip Hudson wrote:
> to QuickBooks for them.

I actively promote FOSS. Mostly to small company start ups.
The BIG BIG (intentional capitals) problem is the lack of a FOSS
equivalent to QuickBooks (or Sage)  to do UK VAT properly.

GnuCash is OK for USA based businesses, and provided the user is
competent in double entry bookkeeping it is possible to set up a UK
Chart of Accounts  for non-VAT systems easily  but not for UK or EU VAT

The lack of adequate bookkeeping to UK/ HMRC standards for company
bookkeeping is a real problem for FOSS.

So my summary: for all work in Engineering (including CAD/CAM etc) FOSS
copes, for Commercial Side of company it fails! Thus fall back on
proprietary  programs for accounts. Windows easy choice. Gnu/Linux
smaller choice. This kills three out of four  possible start up folk
from FOSS or Gnu/Linux. "I'll just buy Windows and MS Office and QuickBooks"

PS FOSS bookkeeping for non-VAT non-HMRC  e.g personal accounts is OK.

There are VAT capable 'free'(as beer) Windows' systems but much more
awkward than QuickBooks.

For lack of a nail the horse..  ...war was lost!
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald