Re: [LUG] Free ipad to every student????

On 24/12/10 09:29, Neil Stone wrote:
>> I would be interested to hear your views on this? Any similar to mine??
>> Even if it was a good idea, I would far rather they lowered the taxes so that
>> people could get jobs and buy their own...

Wrong way for both taxes and students/pupils.
1If you want all using the same do as in Norway or some schools in UK
issue Live CD , e.g SkulLinux or Knoppix (for those who are competent)
or other cut-down Live CD to pupils (Eliminating ability to repartition
or load onto hard disc to avoid problems).
Thus all use same FOSS software and store personal stuff on USB key on
any personal machine of their choice
The important thing is every boot is an uncorrupted OS**, and shared
same useable programs.

** eliminates problems of downloads corrupting OS or hard drives.

Cost to taxpayer is a few Live CDs and one persons time to compile the
cut down version if required.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald