Re: [LUG] Skype problems

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Henry Bremridge wrote:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1934238/skype-comes-leaves-line-excuse

Can I assume that this is the problem of relying on proprietary software?

Haha... Er, oops ;-) Yes. Actually not really - it's relying on something that comes with no support. Proprietary might be OK in some circumstances - if it had support.

Imagine being a business and actually relying on using something that comes for free with no support ... Sadly some business do. Hope they lost business over this - maybe now they'll realise that if they don't pay for support then they're shafted.

And point out to friends who keep pushing me to use Skype, the advantages
of having a SIP address?

Advantages of having anything that comes with support - support which pays for proper infrastructure, not relying on the good-will of people to provide "supernodes" for it..

Best xmas present news I've had!

Gordon