Re: [LUG] Rsync External USB Drive

On 16/12/10 11:28, Robin Cornelius wrote:
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Gibbs<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I want to sync a load of directories when a specific USB drive is plugged in
to an Ubuntu server. How can I run rsync when the drive is plugged in
(automatically)? I've looked online but they all seem to be manual methods
so I'm hoping that it's possible to trigger commands when things are
mounted...
udev rules, they can/are scripts that can do what ever you want when
devices enter/leave certain states mainly add/remove and you can also
be specific to subsystems so you can watch for a usb device that
matches a specific vendor/product id. you also then get the chance to
add the device to your system under what ever /dev/ node you choose
and with user/group and permission you choose, so you could create it
owned by group "backup" for example.

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html might be
helpful,remember you do need to mount the device, as the udev rule is
only associated with creating the /dev node but that can easily be
added in an additional program section or a RUN command etc

Robin

Thanks for that Robin. Will have a read later! Looks good from a quick scan though! Cheers

Gibbs